Thursday, December 29, 2011

Humorous, "down-home" phrases

I am unaware of phrases like these in my own family's repertoire. But I have heard others who seem to own a few.

I wanted to find out who Carol Ann Wilson is on whose website I was led to

Wilson has a page dedicated to honoring the South. And down toward the bottom of the page, she shares a number of Southern speech patterns.

First, "things you will never hear a Southern boy say," then some favorite aphorisms by Will Rogers who, as Wilson notes, "wasn't from the South," but whose "wisdom is dead-on Southern--especially the part of the South that includes the Republic of Texas." (Wilson is from Texas.)

I thought the following were particularly funny:
  • It's so dry, the trees are bribing the dogs.
     
  • If things get any better, I may have to hire someone to help me enjoy it.
     
  • Never slap a man who's chewing tobacco.
     
  • If you're riding' ahead of the herd, take a look back every now and then to make sure it's still there.
     
  • Never miss a good chance to shut up. [I'm afraid I need to learn this one. --JAH]
There are plenty more where these came from.
blog comments powered by Disqus