- Lightning bugs flick on their night light to help kids catch them.
- Butterflies are so beautiful that high-class fashion designers copy their designs.
- Bees make honey and everybody like a little honey!
- Praying mantises are very religious and will pray for you if they like you.
- Spiders make beautiful webs and decorate haunted houses for free!
- Moths make Mexican jumping beans dance around.
- And crickets let blind people know when it's nighttime.
Rick Detorie, the artist, illustrated the truism with a blind woman cupping her hand to her ear and sighing with satisfaction: "Ah!" --Now she knew it was time for bed, I guess.
But "what about mosquitoes?" asks Grandpa.
"Let's not get all ridiculous about this, okay?" says Ruthie.
It did get me thinking: What is the positive purpose or function of mosquitoes? I'm sure they fulfill some positive ecological function. I just can't think what it may be.
By the way, the original cartoon is here.